Saturday, September 13, 2014

Another Good Visit with the Parkinson's Doctor

Yesterday was Charlie's second visit with Dr. Slevin, his Neurologist/Parkinson's doctor at Lexington Clinic.  Dr. Slevin is a guru in Parkinson's research at the University of Kentucky.  We heard him speak several years ago and were very impressed with his knowledge of the disease and medications.  He has a good "bed-side manner".

I was really dreading this appointment because I have witnessed very subtle, but very real instances that Parkinson's has taken a greater hold on Charles.  I am so glad I went with him because the two doctors that we talked to alleviated a lot of my fears.  One fear is that Parkinson's could be the cause of his knee issues.  Not so!  There is no pain related to Parkinson's.  Stiffness related to Parkinson's can be offset with exercise.  (I knew that!)  So, he has an appointment with Dr. Chatta this month and I am going with him to see what our options are.  If he suggests knee replacement, I think Charles should do it.  We shall see.  But at the very least, I am going to encourage him to go to the gym daily.  Why not, since Silver Sneakers covers the cost?  I know daily visits to the gym made me feel better. (He just left for the gym.  Yes, I need to go with him, but not this time!) 

Another fear is the instances of confusion I have witnessed with being slow of thought, time, money, etc.  Turns out this is a side effect of the medication he is taking for tremors (shaking).  He has had a lot of problems with this medication too with dry mouth.  But, it is a "super-drug" for tremors.  Dr. Slevin told him to self-adjust the medicine to get to a balance he can tolerate with tremors/side effects.  So, I am hopeful that he can cut this medicine in half.  I need to remember Matthew 6:25 and let God take care of tomorrow and not worry about dementia.  I could easily get dementia before he does.

Charles has been doing so much better recently with getting involved with conversations of others, laughing more and being involved with life.  I know that winter is worse for him and fear that this will be a bad winter.  He can't get out into the sunshine much because the cold weather causes his hand to hurt.  We talked to a beautiful lady that works with Dr. Slevin who was diagnosed with Parkinson's about the same time Charles was (I kid you not -- she was wearing at least 4'" heels).  She said the best advice that she can give is "Live life and stay active!"  So, I realize I have to work harder to keep him busy (if we can fit it into our already busy life).  And, I have to work harder at keeping a positive outlook so that he will.

They are still encouraging us to start a support group in Mt. Sterling.  I really don't want to because I think it would be hard for me to come up with "meeting material" since I don't have Parkinson's.  And I know this would totally fall on me.  It would be a worthy thing to do and I know Charles would benefit -- I just don't think I am ready -- maybe someday when I retire.  Onward, upward!  


No comments:

Post a Comment