Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Parkinson's Support Group - My Thoughts

Something I never thought Charlie would do is join a support group of any kind.  Not only did we join, he is interested in hosting the meetings in Mt. Sterling.  The organizational meeting we went to at Morehead was wonderful -- the Parkinson's guru from UK spoke (Dr. Slevin).  He gave us lots of information about medicines and research.  They served a wonderful banquet-style meal and we were glad that we went.

Thursday was the first official meeting of the Morehead group and it was BORING!  The lady in charge did not have much information and it was a two-hour meeting.  It was suggested that we break into groups of caregivers and patients in the future.  I really would like to talk to the other caregivers to see if they share my frustrations and fears.  One is a pediatrician and I would really like to get to know her.

Charlie is definitely the most mobile of the Parkinson's patients who attend the meetings.  But I fear that he will eventually get depressed because it's kinda like looking into the future.  Many of them are on walkers.

I have to admit, I am not adjusting to the Parkinson's as well as I thought.  I fear that Charlie will agree to start a group in Mt. Sterling and I will have to do the work.  He thinks he would, but I know him too well -- he would depend on me.  I don't have time and I am not mentally prepared to do that.  I think it would be a chore that I would dread every month; but how can I not support him if he wants to do it?  My personality is to do over-kill on everything and I just don't think I could come up with a good meeting every month.

I don't like to share distasteful jokes and such but a definite "Parkinson's funny" was told at the meeting.  One of the gentlemen went into a men's restroom to use the urinal.  He was standing beside a man in scrubs who appeared to be a doctor.  Because of cold hands, he said he has a habit of putting his shirt over his hand to keep it warm -- which is what he did while using the urinal.  Add the hand tremor to that...well you can guess the rest -- the guy called him a pervert and rushed out of the restroom.


On a positive note this week -- Charlie had a great doctor visit Monday.  Doc told him he is doing great and gave him the okay to cut back on one of his medicines.  He will go back in 6 months.  As we were walking out, he declared that he is going to take his medicine and forget about Parkinson's.  That is what I have been wanting to hear.  I just want him to get back into normal living and make the best of each day.



No comments:

Post a Comment